Grade Level Highlights
- Field trips become a reality to the library, Yavapai College Community events, and to Flip City for gymnastics.
- Themes include “All About Me,” “My Family and Friends,” “My Community,” “Grandparents,” “Owls,” “Sea Creatures,” “The Water Cycle,” “Frogs and Toads,” and “Butterflies.”
- Emphasis on conflict resolution.
- Butterfly release in the spring!
- Field trips to local farms, library, parks, local lakes, and the zoo.
- Caroling and trick-or-treating at the Veteran’s Hospital.
- Insect unit, study of penguins, gardening, the environment, and farm unit.
- Emphasis on arts and crafts.
- P.E. includes weekly gymnastics, yoga, and field games.
- Field trips to Highlands Center for Natural History, Arizona Science Center, Arizona Pioneer Home, Mesa Museum for Natural History, Grand Canyon Caverns, Pioneer Living Museum, and the Prescott Zoo.
- Themes include: Frogs, Toads, and Life Cycles, the hatching of baby chicks, Castles and Fairy Tales, Dinosaurs and the Earth’s Changes, and the Continents with an emphasis on Australia.
- Participation in the Prescott Resort Gingerbread Village at Christmas time.
- P.E. includes weekly gymnastics, hiking, and/or dance.
- Hiking and native plant identification around Prescott.
- Themes include Astronomy, Geology, Oceanography, American Pioneers and Explorers, Ancient civilizations, and Gardening.
- Field Trips to Lowell Observatory, Meteor Crater, and The Grand Canyon.
- Community Garden project.
- Week-long class trip to Catalina Island!
- P.E. includes hiking, gymnastics, and yoga.
- Field Trips to Highlands Center for Natural History, Sharlot Hall Museum, Wastewater Treatment Plant, and Catalina Island; monthly water monitoring at Stricklin Park.
- Colorado River Rafting and 3-day camping trip.
- Watershed hikes and creek studies in Prescott.
- Project WET activities.
- Arizona State Reports!
- Themes include Geology, geography, and history of Arizona; Community Garden project, and water education.
- P.E. includes dance, fencing, tennis, martial arts.
- Learning about poets and poetry; entering national poetry contest.
- Monthly visits to the Veteran’s administration “Grandparents program.”
- Monthly trips to Yavapai College Art Gallery for art shows.
- Fencing instruction at the Racquet Club, creative movement & dance, tennis, and Martial Arts Instruction
- State research reports.
- Themes include the Civil War, American Revolution, and the United States.
FOR MORE INFORMATION REGARDING SPECIFIC ACADEMIC EXPECTATIONS BY GRADE LEVEL, EXPLORE THE COMMON CORE GRADE LEVEL EXPECTATIONS AT www.corestandards.org